RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

11/19/2006

CRABS

CRABS

Writing about fish the other day, brought to mind an incident I had about 10 or 12 years ago in Annapolis, Maryland. My wife and I were visiting my daughter and her family at the Naval Academy. They lived in a house on the grounds that overlooked an athletic field or parade ground that was right on the Severn River where it meets the Chesapeake Bay.

It was my preference to get up early and walk along the ocean wall on the other side of the field. Early one morning, I was sitting on the wall by myself and a Navy Shore Patrol in a car drove across the field to where I sat. This bay is great for catching a number of different species of crabs. We ate them often there and they are delicious. Catching them, though, is restricted to certain seasons to avoid disrupting their reproductive cycles.

Anyway, the SP stopped near me and said, "You're not crabbing, are you?" I said, "No, I'm not complaining at all. I leave the crabbing to my wife." We both got a good chuckle on a beautiful morning by the sea.

No comments: