RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/08/2007

WAIST

WAIST

Why are some things plural in our language that are obviously singular items? I know some of you think that I'm overly obsessed with underwear but lets give this a look with respect to clothes.

When I do, I wear undershorts or underpants. There is no such thing as undershort or underpant. Why? Its only one article of clothing.

Women wear panties if they wear anything. Why panties and not panty? Its only one article of clothing. No one says "did you have your bras on?" Bra is singular even though there might be a little more logic to having it be plural.

It must have to do with the waist. Everything below the waist is plural and everything above it is singular. Its pants and not pant; slacks and not slack; shorts and not short. Above the waist, its shirt and not shirts; sweater and not sweaters; coat and not coats; jacket and not jackets.

By golly, I think I've found it. The "waist theory of language". Remember this: you heard it here first.

No comments: