RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

1/20/2006

MOVIES

MOVIES

I love movies. When I was a young kid, I could and did walk to the movie theater quite often... Saturday or Sunday afternoon matinees, usually. It was westerns and war movies and pirates and sci-fi. John Wayne was the number one cowboy. Audie Murphy was the war hero. Blackbeard the pirate and the Creature from the Black Lagoon were typical. The scariest movie I saw as a youngster was the original Godzilla. My dad took me to see it at the drive-in theater. It scared me stiff. My earliest memory of a great movie, that had a big impression on me, was Ben Hur. Its still a classic.

When I got a little older, I saw most of the Elvis Presley movies at the theater. When I started dating, I loved the Pink Panther series and all the Peter Sellers comedies. They are still great. Then came the James Bond era. Those were and are still great fun. They were ahead of their time. Things get a little fuzzy after that. The next two great series of movies I really liked was the Rocky series and the Indiana Jones adventures.

I'd love to go to the movies more often now but it seems to me its too expensive to justify and besides, who has the time?

No comments: