RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

8/01/2024

CAN YOU SAY COMMANDO?

I found this statement in an ad: "Men only started wearing underwear in the 17th century."  I have no reason to believe that this isn't true.  

I saw this some time ago and I was reminded of it this week when I heard a bible story that talked about a loincloth.  I had never given a loincloth much thought.  Clothing of the ancients.  But, of course, Adam wore one and so did Moses; Jesus wore one and so did Julius Caesar.  In hot climates, that's all any man wore during the day.  At night or on formal occasions, they had a tunic or robe of some type.  

The 17th century, takes in a lot of time.  I suppose Leonardo de Vinci wore a loincloth while painting The Last Supper  and Mona Lisa; that Michelangelo wore one while painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.  That means that when "Columbus sailed the blue" he was without an undergarment.  Of course, Tarzan wore just a loin cloth - surely, no underwear for him.  

In later years and in colder climates, people discovered pants.  No loincloth under the pants  Pre-17th century, some men who didn't wear pants wore little skirts like the Scots.  No underwear for them.  

So, if you were wondering if the Scottish did or didn't, now you know.  Before the 17th century, the answer was "no"; in later years, "maybe".  

And how do you think I know so much about the little skirts?

Voila!



No comments: