RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/31/2006

AUTOGRAPHS

AUTOGRAPHS

I never could understand the fixation some people have with autographs of celebrities. The only autograph I ever got was that of Ted Kluszewski, Cincinnati Reds slugger, in about 1955. He was at a bowling alley and evidently we expected him to be there. I had brought along a book titled, Babe Ruth Baseball Boy. He signed the inside front cover. I never got another autograph in my life.

In the mid 1970's, I played in a charity basketball game against the Cincinnati Bengals at the local public school. At half time, kids were allowed to come on the court and seek autographs of the Bengals while we warmed up for the second half. Several little ones came to me and demanded an autograph. It was so embarrassing. I refused over and over but the kids wouldn't take no for an answer. What was I to do? I wonder if those kids still have my autograph.

No comments: