RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

9/10/2006

MEMORIES

MEMORIES

Tomorrow is the five year anniversary of the terrorist attacks by plane against the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. It was a life-changing day for most Americans and for our country. Things will never quite be the same again. I know that's the case for me.

That day was the last day I remember having my heart move into my throat. I found it difficult to talk at one point that morning. That was the last time in my life I remember being moved to tears. As with most terror, it was fear of the unknown that most effected me. My son and his wife were in the air that morning and there was a period when we weren't sure what the disposition of their plane was. They were on their way from Cincinnati to West Palm Beach, Florida when the attacks occurred. His Delta flight was ordered down in Atlanta. There were so many planes in the air that were diverted to Atlanta, they had to circle for a long time before getting clearance to land. It was an eternity.

No comments: