RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/26/2007

FLIP FLOPS

Flip flops! That's what I call them, anyway. The simplest of sandals. Flat bottomed...made of rubber...a thong which starts between your big toe and its partner.



When I was a young man, they were public shower wear...protection from an infection of athletes' foot. Some wore them at the public swimming pool for the same reason. I'm not sure if I ever owned a pair.



When I was in the Far East, they were standard footwear for Vietnamese men and women alike. Day and night...at home or away...that's all I ever saw them wear. We called them, facetiously, Vietnamese safety shoes.



Now, thirty five years later, they have become standard Summer footwear for Americans under forty. Women in our office wear them almost every day. I've seen women wear them to church. Young men wear them to and from our softball games. They are casual party and picnic wear for both sexes.



Why do I bring this up, you ask? I was born thirty years too soon. You know, I have the most beautiful feet....

No comments: