RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/27/2008

FAT

I've been obsessing about my weight for a couple of years now. It drives me crazy but I'm just not able to do anything about it. I eat too much. I eat the wrong things. I beat myself up about it and then go and do it again. I'm trying not to mention it to other people any more. I'm sure others don't want to constantly hear about my fight with the scale.

Some things about eating are built into our brains and others are put there by our parents. Its a joke among people my age that when we were kids our parents urged us to eat everything on our plates because there were kids in China who were starving. I am still obsessed with not only cleaning my plate but eating everything that I think might get thrown away. If I could eat slowly enough to listen to my body telling me that it is satisfied, I might be better off.

Babies cry when they are hungry. That's a good thing. That's when they need to eat. Not by the clock.
This makes me think about when I was a young parent. For some reason, it became necessary for our babies to eat everything Gerber decided to put into the jar. We were always urging the children to eat one more spoonful. My guess is, babies know when they are satisfied. They know when they are full. What makes parents think that a child has to eat everything that some company put in its food container?

If I had it to do over again, ...

No comments: