RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/17/2008

CASUAL FRIDAYS

For many years of my working life, I put on a tie each morning and some days a suit. I even wore a tie to high school every day.

As the story goes, in the Fall of 1991, ALCOA was attempting to get employees to contribute to the United Way fund drive and offered to allow casual clothing be worn by its office workers for a week in exchange for a donation. It became such a hit with everyone including upper management that they decided to institute casual Fridays. Other companies followed suit (or should I say suitless). In 1995, IBM began allowing its office workers to dress casually every day. Too bad Mr. Suitmaker!

And so, here we are today. Monday through Thursday are casual days and casual Fridays have turned into beachwear Fridays...flip flops, denim with holes, tee shirts, short skirts...I can't wait to see what happens next. I may never retire.

No comments: