RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/13/2008

JURY DUTY

I was "commanded" to jury duty for the past two weeks. Yes, the notice said, "commanded". Serving on a jury is an honor - or should be. I really wanted to do it. I was called several times over the years and agreed to serve one time before but never got to sit on a panel.

Most of the people I know try to get out of it when the occasion arises. I understand why. Oh, it sounds easy; your term is two weeks and you only have to come when called. Each day you call after 3:30 pm to see if you are needed the next day. You may never be needed. That doesn't sound bad until you try it. You can't plan anything. No wonder employers hate it. How many could get a substitute worker in that short of notice? Who doesn't make appointments before 3:30 the day before?

I skated through without being needed. Good, I guess!
.

No comments: