RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/13/2009

CHANGE

About 25 years ago, I bought a little two-seater car on a whim that was fun but required constant maintenance. It was an Italian sports car called a Fiat X-19. I had little experience with automobile repair aside from changing oil but dug into this car with gusto. I read and read and learned and learned. Eventually, I did some pretty extensive work on it . . . replaced a head gasket and timing belt . . . redid the brakes . . . fixed the clutch . . . rebuilt the carburetor . . . repaired the movable headlights. In any case, I became quite the mechanic for the three years I owned it.

Since then, I've been trading cars every two or three years. Little goes wrong with a good car in the first two or three years.

Fast forward to four years ago. I pull into a service station and ask them to check something for me on my new Camry. The mechanic said open the hood. I didn't know how. I didn't even know how. How things change . . . how people change.
.

No comments: