RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/04/2011

BIOLUMINESCENCE

I saw a story about bioluminescent surf the other day.  It was titled "Electifying blue waves luring awe-struck crowds to San Diego beaches."  It explained that what is known as 'red tide' in the day can be this beautiful luminous surf at night. Bioluminescence is light created by living things.  It is the result of a chemical reaction involving phytoplankton in the ocean.  The glowing surf is a georgeous sight. 

That story was about the surf on the California coast.  I experienced it once on the gulf coast of Florida.  My family didn't believe me.  They thought it was caused by fermented grapes and refused to go to the beach with me at night.  Eventually, they sent my sons-in-law after me to make sure I didn't wonder in and drown myself.  Too bad they missed the sight.
:-) 

No comments: