RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

11/12/2011

HEAVYWEIGHTS

There were decades of my life when I always knew who held the title of heavyweight boxing champion of the world.  I remember listening to Rocky Marciano win and defend his title in the 1950's. (One of his victims was lightheavyweight Ezzard Charles after whom a street has been named in his hometown of Cincinnati)  There was Patterson, Liston and Clay in the sixties; Frazier, Foreman, Ali, Spinks, Norton in the seventies, Holmes, Tyson and Holyfield in the eighties and Foreman and Tyson in the nineties...I'm sure I forgot a few. 

One of the greats, Smokin' Joe Frazier, died this week.  He had three epic battles with Muhammad Ali.  I loved every one of them. 

I have no idea who holds the title now or for the past 15 years.  To me, it's sad.

:-]

No comments: