RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

4/29/2012

THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT ME

When I was a kid, were talking the early 1950s here, I made a lot of plastic models by a company named Revell.  These things were pretty new on the market at that time.  I made scale models of World War II and Korean War vintage military air planes and war ships.  All you needed was glue, some paint, a brush, a steady hand for decals and loads of patience. 

I did a B-24 heavy bomber which pounded the Germans into submission in WWII and a P-38 fighter used in Asia by the Army Air Corp in which my dad served; the USS Missouri, the battleship on which the Japanese officially surrendered ending WWII in the Pacific (it now sits in Pearl Harbor as a tourist attraction); the USS Enterprise, an aircraft carrier that served in the Pacific during WWII and Korea - the most decorated ship in the history of the US Navy.

I was proud of all my models and kept them for a long time but never showed them to anyone (kind of like my paintings).  In that time period, kids may have been more aware of war and world tension than they are today even though, by comparison, communications were so limited.

Oh, I never sniffed the glue...never gave it a thought. 

:-)

No comments: