RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/24/2012

BENGALS

I thought nothing could be as sad as the Reds losing three straight to the Giants in the playoffs last Summer with a chance to go to the World Series.  I have become inured to this kind of treatment from our sports teams.  It was another in a long line of disappointments.  For Cincinnatians, it has become the norm to expect the worst.

It is with this background that I built a personal tradition of watching the Bengals games by myself in my own house.  No need in my castle to hold back tears;  to pretend I don't care;  to be embarrassed for rooting for the home team.  Any emotion is okay when you are alone. 

Yesterday, I said "To Hell with tradition."  I went for broke.  I put my feelings on the line.  Maybe, just maybe, that is what the home team needed.  I went to a bar and met some friends.  I cheered unabashedly for the orange and black.  In the back of my head, I knew they would let me down but I went anyway and risked it all. 

Alleluia!  Alleluia!  It worked. 
:[

No comments: