RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

2/27/2013

WORDS

I often talk about words that interest me.  Here is an interesting group that is hard to define because they represent things that the speaker cannot define.  These are perfect words for old people like me who can't come up with the right name for something real quickly.

Whatchamacallit for instance.  It is a conglomerate for 'what you may call it'.  Notice that the speaker admits he doesn't know the name.  I don't like to admit there is anything I don't know - so I seldom use this word.  Sometimes I hear this word used to indicate a person - that is wrong, don't do it. 

A person is either whatshername or whatshisname.  In this case you must at least know the sex of the individual.  These are good for me because, though I often can't come up with a name, I seldom miss on the gender.

If you don't know the name of something inanimate but don't want to admit it, you could call it a thingamajig, a thingamabob or a doohickey.  This sounds a little more professional and might indicate you don't really care what the real name is.  These fit my personality.

Hope this helps the young folk understand old people talk a  little better. 
\o.o/

No comments: