RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/24/2013

HAIR

Every once in a while, I enjoy going back and reading my old posts. They're all easily brought up in the word or archive search at the right. Here is one from seven years ago.


3/15/2006


HAIR

One of the cruel realities of life is that hair is used to judge age. Its the first clue you have when you see or meet someone for the first time. For men its: Thinning? Old! Bald? Older! or Salt and pepper? Old! Gray? Older! Many men are trying to stymie this method of age appraisal by shaving their thinning heads completely bald. For women its more simple: Long hair then short hair then blue hair.

The ironic thing is, once you've sailed through the thinning stage and the salt-and-pepper stage and the balding stage and the graying stage, like I have, you've not only been on a lot of stages but you have more hair to worry about. I never learned in text books that hair was a zero sum product of the human body but I'm sure it is. It seems for every hair I lose on my head, my body finds another place to grow one. If its not growing new hairs, its changing the length of hair that had stayed the same for years.

I'm still fighting the aging process. Sadly, I'm losing most of the battles but I plan on fighting to the end. Growing old is not always pleasant, but it is favorable to the alternative. And, if you see an old guy with a long hair sticking out of his ear or a wild one shooting out of an eyebrow, try to ignore it if you can. It'll happen to you someday, too.   'o.o'

No comments: