RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/19/2013

FATAL FLAW

I had a great time at my high school re-union this weekend.  Don't hesitate to attend yours - no matter what you think of your school experience.   It is great fun.  It is good for the soul.

One thing that really struck me this weekend was a conversation I overheard between two or three of my classmates.  I was in all advanced placement classes and did rather poorly.  These guys were also in these classes and had done rather well, to say the least.  They were at or near the top of the class.  Anyway, they were reminiscing about how they called each other at night to verify how to do difficult math problems and the like.  It was a regular thing for them.  I never called another student about home work - ever.  It is not in my make-up to ask for help.  I wish it weren't true, but it is.  I always had the attitude that if I couldn't do it - I just couldn't do it - take your medicine.  I never asked another student or a teacher for help.  I never ask anyone for help.  It is my fatal flaw.  I think I can do anything; but if I can't do it myself - I just don't do it.  Its sad - but its true. 

Don't be that way - don't let your kids be that way.  Encourage group work - discourage isolation.

'o.o'

No comments: