RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

7/21/2013

DINING IN CINCINNATI

We tried the made-over Aponte's Pizzeria last night. It is a small east-coast style Italian restaurant near the heart of Mason.  I say "made-over" because the Restaurant Impossible crew was there in June to do their magic.   The episode is due to broadcast on the Food Network in August.

From what I've heard, the RI people reduced the menu and eliminated on-line ordering/delivery.  As usual, they also spruced up the place and instituted staff training.  The place, though always busy, was known for long waits to get food whether eat-in or carry-out. Small pizzas are not available but you can buy it by the slice.  

The young lady who waited on us was pretty good.  I asked for a large spoon and she said she couldn't find a large one.  They serve soup so they surely had soup spoons available.  Could it be she knew I steal soup spoons?

I had meatballs and spaghetti.  It was the spiciest I've ever eaten but I liked it.  Three large meatballs over a small portion of pasta.  The meatballs were made of a combination of  ground beef and Italian sausage.

The other three at our table had a stromboli, calzones and a salad.  All liked their food.  The bread items were served on studded plates you could not use if you wanted to cut it (very strange).

Prices were low to reasonable.  My pasta was $10 and I had a glass of decent wine for $7.50.  So much for my shot at being a restaurant critic.
o.o

No comments: