RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

8/22/2013

DISCIPLINE

Discipline can be a noun or a verb.  It can be a set of rules, a punishment, self-control or the act of enforcing rules, exacting punishment, teaching self-control.  Every parent, teacher, coach or manager has his/her own ideas about it.  Everyone has his/her own formula for success.  

Probably no one method is correct in all circumstances.  Their is one form of discipline that I'm sure wont work any more.  I never used it in the first place; never believed in it.  It is the punishment for children so often seen on TV and in the movies.  It is the dreaded "Go to your room!!! and don't come out until ...!"

That's the one I'm sure wont work these days.  I've been in kids rooms and I'm shocked.  My kids had a bed and a dresser, if they were lucky.  Today's kids have their own TV, telephone, stereo, radio, CDs, DVDs, games, Gameboy, iPad, iPod, Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Wii, ...!  What a great place to be!

What parents, these days, need to say is "Don't go to your room!!! and stay out of it until ...!"

How times have changed.
0.0

No comments: