RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/22/2014

NEIGHBORS

I have had a neighbor for over 43 years who I don't really know very well. He's in his seventies now.  He is a slow walking, slow talking kind of guy.  He stays pretty much to himself but is friendly enough for me.  He seems meek, distant or strange most of the time.

Anyway, after all these years I found out last week that he has a lathe in the garage he piddles in and he makes GUNS...hand cannons to be more accurate...black powder type.  He says he's been fooling with black powder since he was a kid..."pert near burned his parents house down one time."

He builds the body, handle and trigger out of wood to which he attaches his steel barrel with a screw.  The gun has a little spring on the trigger which you pull back by hand.  He says a single cap-gun cap set atop the breach is enough to ignite the black powder and fire the projectile.

Its just so out of character for what I expected.  I was shocked but now have a new respect for the dude.
o.o

No comments: