RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/30/2014

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, I tried to grow corn in my backyard.  This is what I did when I was about six years old.

On the right side of the yard, near our neighbor's fence and halfway back to another neighbors fence, I dug a trench about six feet long and six inches deep.   (This was halfway back to where I had previously dug the huge foxhole.)  I planted about a dozen seeds in a row right next to the trench.  I'm not sure where I got the seeds.

My idea was that the trench would hold water and supply it to the plants.  I thought that farmers put trenches between their rows of corn so that rain water would stay there and feed the plants for days after a rain. I guess I wasn't thinking too clearly back then.  I'm sure I had no idea what fertilizer was.

Anyway, I filled the little trench with water every day that it didn't rain and, low and behold, the seeds germinated.  I had little stalks of corn growing up right there in the city.  I was a genius.  I tended to them for a weeks on end and they grew to about one foot tall or less.  One foot!! after all that work and not a sign of an ear of corn.  I was devastated.  I knew I would never became a farmer so I reverted to becoming a major league baseball player.

O.O


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this:) smf