RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/13/2014

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, my mother had a sewing machine that she sat at and worked with a foot pedal.  It was kept in my sisters' bedroom.  She bought patterns of clothes and bulk material from a store 'down on the pike'.  The patterns were made of a kind of tissue paper with instructions printed on them.

She would cut the big tissue paper pattern into pieces based on size.  Then she'd lay the tissue paper pieces on the material, pin it in place and cut the material to match.  If all was figured correctly, you could sew the pieces together and have a dress or slacks or whatever.  I tried to help and, as I recall, it didn't always go very well.

My sisters moved up to store-bought clothes when they started to school and, for the most part, the sewing machine gathered dust.  I was shocked to find it in a corner of my parents basement when I disposed of their home.
0.0

No comments: