RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/22/2015

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, race problems were unknown to me.  I grew up in a town of 26,000 and none of them were black.  I went to a private high school in Cincinnati and we had five black students out of 275 in my class. In college the percentage of blacks to whites was higher, but not much. I did play black teams a few times playing baseball and basketball.  I had no black friends.

My parents grew up when blacks sat on the back of the bus and didn't eat in the same restaurants as whites. They didn't hate blacks but they made fun of them and their lifestyle.

I never worked with a black person - ever.  Only in the Army did I have some contact with them.  All of my children live in almost solely white neighborhoods.  Racial problems are still a distant thing to me.
0.0

No comments: