RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/24/2015

WORDS

One of the really strange word usages in the English language, if you ask me, has to do with the word "used."
At first glance you may think I've totally lost it this time.  It's such a common word;  used car,  naturally;  used a computer, of course.  In each case, my friend Merriam says the definition is "employed in accomplishing something or that has endured use, second hand."  No problem so far.

How about when we say something like, "I used to do it this way."  When you put "to" after the "used" it changes everything.  "Used to" now means something like "once" or "previously."  BUT, try inserting either of those words into the sentence above.  Now the tense is wrong.  It would have to be "I once did it this way." or "I previously did it this way."   You could never say, "I used to did it this way."

Now you know what has been keeping me up at nights.  I just can't figure how this could be.  I say we all should stop saying "used to" and then I wont have to worry about this anymore.   Please, take it out of your language.  Thanks!
0.0

No comments: