RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

10/28/2015

HIGHER EDUCATION

I've given some thought to higher education recently - mainly, as regards to yours truly.  You may know that I chose to pursue engineering after high school.

I think it was a mistake . . . and this has nothing to do with my satisfaction with my life.  Engineering is a profession - a very high class technical school.  That kind of education steers you down a narrow path. Most people (including me) are too young for that at 18 years of age.  As much as anything, engineering was a money-based selection for me.

We need to encourage our young people to pursue a liberal arts education.  The studies of literature, languages, philosophy, theology and music or art appreciation will be a benefit for that student for ever - no matter their vocation or final endeavor.

People, more than anything, need to be able to think critically, to speak clearly and succinctly, to debate confidently and to have a moderate understanding over a wide range of subjects. I've spent most of my adult life trying to achieve this on my own.
^o^







No comments: