RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/13/2016

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, we didn't have big superstitions.  Friday the thirteenth didn't bother us.  We didn't care about black cats.   I've walked under many ladders (this could actually be dangerous).

I can't really remember any superstitions my parents promoted except that, when we said something good happened - some good fortune, we would have to knock on wood.  This was to scare away the evil spirits who may have heard us and think we were bragging.

Although there was plenty of wood around the house, our kitchen table was Formica covered so this is the way we did it.  We made a fist and rapped our knuckles on the side of our head.  Did my mother think my skull was made of wood?  Bone is not wood!  Did this mean I was a blockhead?

Was this all a big joke on me?  I never realized it 'till today.
*o*

No comments: