RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

9/23/2016

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, I heard my mother say to my father a number of times that one of her friends was suffering from a nervous breakdown.  That seemed to be a common illness according to her.  She always said it with a whisper.  "Mrs. So and So had a nervous breakdown."  When it was real bad, she followed that with another whisper, "She'll be in the hospital for a while.  Shock treatments!" 

Do they still do that to people?  Do shock treatments cure some nervous problem?  Is 'nervous breakdown' still a condition you might hear from a doctor?  I haven't heard of anyone having a nervous breakdown since I was a kid.  Do we call it something different?  

My guess is that it was all related to stress - I know we still have plenty of that.  I think that if there is any one thing you could do to give yourself a better chance of having a long life, it is reduce stress.  Stress can do all kinds of things to your body.   Many illnesses can be related to stress - even the common cold.

Be aware of this:  alcohol may make you forget the stress or not notice it for a while but it wont cure it.  That's not the way to do away with stress.  Remember that it's all in your mind.  Your mind is under your control.  Work on it.
o) o)

No comments: