RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/30/2016

WHEN I WAS A KID

When I was a kid, I started playing football for our school when I was in the 5th grade.  It was an 8th grade team.  I didn't get to play much the first two years.  There were just two from my grade on the teams - Marty Kramer and myself.  It was normal for boys to begin playing in the 7th grade.

I thought about all this recently when I heard the name of a movie that is playing in theaters now.
It is called "Suicide Squad."  It is a science fiction/fantasy about a group of despicable convicts/super heroes the government puts together to fight uncontrollable crime.

And just how does this remind me of my football career?  Well, according to the vernacular of football in the 1950's, the kick-off and kick-off return teams were the "suicide squad".   Everyone called them that.  The words were often accompanied by a sly laugh or snicker.  The players on those teams were expendable; they were the young lambs sent to slaughter.  It was laughable.

Its not so laughable any more.  Leagues, both professional and scholastic, are devising ways of limiting player involvement in dangerous situations.  The kick-off has proven to be the most dangerous play in football.  No, its not so laughable any more.

Thank God, we are finally taking head injuries seriously.  Football is such a great team sport.  Injuries can be minimized with proper coaching.  Coaching is serious business - in all sports.  Choose your coaches, wisely.
0_0


No comments: