RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/15/2017

THE LAY OF THE LAND

At my age, I don't get surprised or amazed very often.  As they say on the commercial, "I've seen it all."   Well, not quite all.

Yes, I've seen the sun rise over the Atlantic and set over the Pacific.  I've also seen the sun rise over the Pacific and set over the Atlantic.  Sunrises are completely different from sunsets.

I've seen the Rockies and the Smokies; the Shenandoah Valley and the high desert; the Great Lakes and the Mighty Mississippi, the Everglades and our nation's Capitol.  

Have I impressed upon you that I know the land?  Well, I know enough to know that Washington D.C. is a swamp.  I care not what DJT said on the campaign trail except his promise to "drain the swamp."  Good luck, Mr. T.   I hope you can do it.  This task seems impossible to me but I'm for it 100%.  If only we could have term limits for our Representatives and Senators.

Not much of a chance of that without a Constitutional amendment.  How likely is that?  There have been hundreds of attempts to amend our Constitution but only a few have been successful.  The last, the 27th Amendment was passed in 1992.  It regulated how the Congress could grant itself pay raises.

Both a Term Limit and a Balanced Budget amendment are making their way through the States at this time.  You need to convince two-thirds of the House and two-thirds of the Senate and three-quarters of the States to go along with it.  Only pressure from the people could make that happen.  Well, YOU are the people.

We must fix Washington.



No comments: