RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

1/23/2018

VANGUARD

On St. Patrick's Day in 1958, the U.S. launched a satellite from Cape Canaveral that was named Vanguard I.  It was the fourth object sent into orbit by humans.  It was the first, powered by solar produced electricity.  The Soviets had previously launched Sputnik I and II and we had launched Explorer I.

Vanguard was less than 6 1/2" diameter - smaller than a soccer ball.  It makes an orbit every 132 minutes - little over two hours to get all the way around.  Communications with the satellite ended in 1964.  During its active period, it sent back basic information about space - air density, temperature, radiation, etc.

Why do I bring this up?  Vanguard I is still up there - still orbiting Earth and will be for about 240 years.  It is the oldest piece of junk in space.  So, when you youngsters take your zero-gravity space vacations in a few years, watch out for all the junk on the astral highway.  It could be dangerous.  I wish I could do it.
🚀

No comments: