RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

11/28/2018

INTERFAITH WISDOM

The Baptist Church in America was founded by Roger Williams, a 17th Century follower of the Church of England.  While living in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Williams separated from the Church over functions which they espoused.  He went to the area we now call Rhode Island and established a Baptist church in 1638.  About the same time, Englishman John Clarke also founded a Baptist community in the Rhode Island area. 

There are many slightly different denominations belonging to the Baptist Church but, in general, they all believe in full immersion baptism of adults.  It is a public expression of faith and an act of obedience.   Baptist Church followers are typically strong believers in the authority of the Bible.  In Baptist services, communion or the Lord's Supper is celebrated as a remembrance of Christ's sacrifice.  It is a symbolic act honoring the life and death of Jesus Christ.  Adherents to this church are strongly encouraged to minister and evangelize their faith. 

Here is a prayer penned by a great Baptist minister.

"Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness.  I believe you died for my sins and rose from the dead.  I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life.  I want to trust and follow you as my Lord and Savior.  In Your name. Amen."
- - Reverend Billy Graham



No comments: