RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/12/2019

CINCINNATI

I'm back on racing again this weekend.  When I was a young person and able to drive legally, my friends and I would take a trip "way out" to a place we knew as Edgewater in Cleves, Ohio.  Well, it is about 15 minutes away from the city.  Anyway, Edgewater Sports Park still exists and, evidently, it is pretty much as I remember it.  It is an NHRA quarter-mile drag strip.

Edgewater has drag racing on Friday and Saturday from April through November.  Many Sunday's are on their schedule in the Summer months.  You'll see top fuel dragsters, stock cars and funny cars; sometimes even a motorcycle or classic car race.  It's fun and noisy and stinky - just what you might expect - and lots of fun. 

The thing I remember most from going there is that they would allow anyone to race.  Pay a small fee and you're in.  Guys brought their new cars, their old cars or their parents cars.  They would have elimination races.  If you won, you could race again.  I'm sure many of these included side bets between friends.  Oh yeah, I say a few cars blow their engines trying to go to fast down that quarter mile track.  Yikes!  That would get expensive. 

Image result for top fuel dragster clipart

No comments: