RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/10/2020

CINCINNATI

Can you believe this?  I can't.  I don't know if my brain is just losing that many memory cells or if the alcohol has burnt up the connections to my consciousness.  I have no memory of this.

According to records, in 1987 a movie was produced that the producers thought needed extensive promotion.  It was done in 3D and called "Gorilla at Large"; evidently a takeoff on King Kong.  The promotion guys got themselves six 40 foot tall blow-up gorillas and found six large cities willing to humor them.  Cincinnati was one.

The ape was pushed out of the 45th floor of Cincinnati's Carew Tower and then inflated and restrained there.  It covered five stories of the building.  The Carew Tower is similar in shape and style to the Empire State Building used in the King Kong movie. 

The event was sponsored locally by the RAX Restaurants who had the dummy hung high in the city for four days.  The tee-shirt the ape is wearing has their name on it.  I would guess that some people went ape over it but I don't recall.

Click to expand. Enquirer, 19 Nov 1987.

No comments: