RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/29/2020

FRENCH?

A few years ago I received an anonymous comment to an entry I made about my Irish heritage.  The commenter said this: 

"Hi your family name is not Irish it's French! It comes from Alsace Lorraine region on the French German border called Lys, this is also where the Fleur de Lys comes from. I know because my name is Lysaght (Lye suht is also the correct way the English say it but in French it is said Lisa)"  


Well, I"ve looked on Google Earth and found a little village in the south west of France named Lys and a river in northern France that has the name Lys but is usually known by it's Dutch name which is Leie.  I found nothing in the east, near the German border.

I'm hoping that one of my European readers might be able to shed some light on this subject.  Is there anything to what Mr/Ms Anonymous had to say?



No comments: