RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/13/2020

THE WORD THIS WEEKEND

At Catholic mass this weekend, you will be part of the celebration of Corpus Christi which means Body of Christ.  It is a celebration of the Eucharist; the means by which we bring ourselves in communion with Jesus.  

In many cases, the huge difference between Catholic teaching and Protestant is how the Eucharist is understood.  The Catholic Church believes in "The Real Presence"; that the bread is really the body and blood of Jesus.  Many Protestant churches have communion services but believe that the bread is only a symbol of Jesus.  

Let's go to the Gospel reading for today.  These are the words of John the Evangelist who most believe is John the Apostle -  the one that Jesus loved.  He writes that Jesus said, "I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you do not have life within you.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."  And "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in Me and I in him." 

I don't know about you but I'm going with it.    

No comments: