RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/12/2020

THE WORD THIS WEEKEND

 This weekend at Catholic mass you will hear a reading from the early part of John's gospel.  It tells of John the Baptizer and his conversations with the local priests and Pharisees.  

John set a great example for us. His responses were made with humility.  He had every chance to make the story more about himself.  They wanted him to claim he had some great powers.  He refused.  He professed how subservient he was to Jesus.

How often have we refused the limelight when offered?  How often have we claimed knowledge or insight when it was given to us by others?  Sometimes it is very easy to claim credit for an event or act that we really just let happen.   

Take, me for instance.  I'm so very proud of my children and I love to think that it was my doing that made them smart, beautiful, good people.  It was not me, I assure you.  Many, many factors and influences are part and parcel of who we become.  Look to the grace of God and a wonderful mother, for starters.

There it is.  Fake humility is a learned trick.  It's hard to be humble; really humble.   It's just one of those character issues many of us have to work on.  

Be real.  

Have a great weekend.  I love you.

🕈

No comments: