RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/29/2023

MEMORIAL DAY

 Did you notice that I took off for Memorial Day?   

What I've noticed is how some things are happening earlier this year than usual.  Right now I see the cotton pretending to be a light snowfall in my yard.  I'm sure the cottonwood trees don't usually spray this venom on us until mid-June.  That's when I have to clean my air conditioner unit intake grill clogged with it.  

We have had a crop of buttercup flowers in our beds ever since we arrived in this house over fifty years ago.  To many, they are a toxic weed; an infestation to be uprooted.  Me?  I love them.  They usually bloom on June 1st and stay until Fathers Day.  This year I saw the first ones bloom on May 25.  I hope they last throughout the month.

I've had to put the air conditioner on much earlier this year.    I used to try to delay that until July 1st.  Not anymore, I'd say.  I'm hoping my newly installed plants are deeply rooted enough to withstand this early hot spell.  

I noticed the character on Cox road who has tried to display a palm tree in front of his house has actually planted additional ones, this year.  They've never grown very tall here but I'm not ruling that out this year.  

Are you adjusting to the climate change?  I think you had better!

No comments: