RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/27/2023

FALL RISK

One of the big challenges of the aged is becoming a "FALL RISK".  When you enter the hospital, that is one of the first designations they determine.  I usually snickered when those questions arose for my wife.  She was somewhat of a 'risk' and I, on the other hand, walked the balance beam at the Sharon Woods Parcourse trail.  

Last night, I was watching a movie in my darkened family room when I was startled by flashing red lights illuminating the room.  I ran to the window and determined it was an emergency vehicle which had moved back into the cul-de-sac.  There are just four houses in this area and mine and my new young neighbor were not involved.  What was going on?  Now, here comes a large pumper fire truck and two police cars.  I was super excited. 

Was it a fire?  Was it a medical emergency?  Was the emergency at my next door neighbor, the Smith's (Allison's) or my good friends the Koehne's or the Wolfe's house.  Each of the latter two include the elderly.

I was overtaken by curiosity.  I needed to get to the window in the garage that faced those three house.  Out in that direction I tore!  I didn't turn the lights on in the garage because I didn't want anyone to see me and think I was nosey.

Whoops!  I missed the step into the garage splattered onto the dark, cold concrete floor.  There I lay flat on the floor in the dark.  

At first, before trying to get up,  I mentally checked each joint in my body to see if it was working or hurting.  Ankles - pain.  Knees - pain.  Hips - pain.  Back - pain.  Shoulders - pain.  Elbows - pain.  Wrists - severe pain.  I hurt all over.  

I was wearing glasses because I was giving my contacts a rest.  The glasses had flown across the empty garage bay.  I tracked them down and got to my feet.  Undaunted, I made my way to the window without knocking a spade or shovel onto my head.  Of course, I still hadn't turned the lights on.  

I watched as they wheeled Mrs. Wolfe out to the ambulance.  The two police cars left and the excitement was over.  I hope she is okay.  

My guess is that I broke something in my wrist or one of the arm bones.  Big excitement last night!

No comments: