RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/04/2024

WEIRD

 Here is a weird, strange, extraordinary, odd, fantastic "FACT" that appeared on our Instagram screen this weekend.  You couldn't make this up - even I couldn't make this up.  Did everyone know thus but me?

"Every unborn baby grows a mustache in the womb, which then spreads to cover their entire body.  The baby then eats this fine hair, called lanugo, and excretes it after birth with their first bowel movement, which is a substance call meconium."

I fact-checked this and it seems that it is real/true not only for humans but many mammals.    How did I live so many years and not know this?  

Now I'm wondering how the fetus gets the hair off it's body and into its mouth?  This is done before birth for sure.  I've seen newborns and they don't have hair all over.   Are you picturing a cat and a hairball?   I'm losing more sleep over this one. 

Maybe someone can straighten me out.  

No comments: