Translate

RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

8/20/2026

LISTS

Here I go again . . . Lists!  I love them.    

This one comes from a Global Burden of Disease Study of 2019.   The question is:  "What bones are broken most often by people of any age."   It interested me today, because I had a foot that felt broken.  I couldn't walk on it.  

The researchers divided the body into 12 parts as you will see.  204 countries were involved and 178 million fractures were recorded.  I've included an interesting note at the bottom.

From most to least in millions:

1.   Lower leg - Patella/Tibia/Fibula/Ankle  32.7
2.   Forearm  - Radius /Ulna  30.7
3.   Shoulder - Clavicle/Scapula/Humerus  19.3
4.   Hand bones & wrist - 19.0
5.   Thigh - Femur/nonfemoral neck - 14.6
6.   Hip - 14.2
7.   Foot bones (not ankle) - 10.7
8.   Facial bones - 10.7
9.   Spine - Vertebrae  -  8.6
10. Skull - 7.6
11. Pelvis - 6.0
12. Sternum/Ribs - 4.1

In every category, men had more breaks than women except the ... HIP.

No comments: