RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/07/2006

JOBS

JOBS

My first job ever was delivering newspapers. I delivered The Norwood Enterprise, a weekly, when I was about 10 or 11 years old (1955 or so). My route included about five blocks adjacent to our house. They would drop the papers off in a big bundle and I would fold them and throw them onto the porches if all went well. They gave you a canvas bag to hold the papers in when you walked around but it was too heavy for me so I used a red wagon to get them around. Everyone got the paper and I was supposed to collect money once a month. Many of the houses in this area of town were situated high above the street so there was a lot of walking and step climbing involved. I was paid on the basis of number of pages. There was a base salary based on about 25 pages. If they went over, you got an extra penny a paper or something like that. I know I used to go to the newspaper's office to pick up my pay which was in cash in a small bank envelope. I think I got $12 or $13 dollars per month. Wow!

No comments: