RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

6/28/2006

GIVE US THIS DAY

GIVE US THIS DAY

In 1958 or 59, I read a book that I never forgot. Its a memoir by a World War II prisoner-of-war titled Give Us This Day. The author, Sidney Stewart, was captured in the Battle of the Philippines in 1942. He was a forced participant of the Bataan Death March. 10,000 prisoners died during this week long march.

Its been so long ago that its hard for me to remember many details about the book. As a result, I'm reluctant to recommend it. But, for me to remember it, after all these years should tell you something.

Stewart was captured along with 70,000 US and Filipino soldiers on the big island of Luzon. This is significant to me because my father ended up serving on Luzon in 1945.

This book also puts some things in perspective. Its partially the reason I shake my head when I hear the media say that we are mistreating prisoners of war and detainees in prisons at Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib.

No comments: