RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/04/2007

COUNTIES

COUNTIES

When you've been around long enough, you get to know a lot of cities by name. If you really think about it, you get to know a few county names, also.


I live in Butler County and of course I know most of the counties in this area. Because of my work, I know many of them in this three state area.

Everyone might know that Cleveland is in Cuyahoga county. Its river of the same name is famous for catching on fire.

Of course, you've heard of Orange, Ventura and Los Angeles Counties, California. These three make up most of the Los Angeles area. I've traveled there quite a few times. TV and OJ helped make them famous, too.

You've never heard of the county that New York City is in. Well, its not in a county. The five boroughs take the place of counties in NYC. The rest of the state has counties but not the Big Apple.

Illinois has the most infamous county. Chicago is located in Cook County. The first Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago ruled that county with an iron fist and is credited, by many, with stealing the 1960 election from Richard Nixon and making John Kennedy president. Its used to be the only county that might have more votes than living voters.

You may have heard of Dade County in Florida where Miami Beach is located. You've heard of it because of hurricane or crime coverage, I'm not sure which. You know where Palm Beach county is because they can't count votes there. I know where Martin county is because my daughter lives there.


I know Atlanta is in Fulton County because the Braves originally played in Fulton County Stadium. Some airports carry the county name or have it hidden in their 3-letter moniker.

I know of County Clare in Ireland because that is where my father's family supposedly originated.

I know there are no counties in Louisiana because they have parishes instead. Orleans parish encompasses the City of New Orleans. If you don't know any counties in Alaska, its because they don't have them either. Alaska has boroughs like the New York City area of New York.


Why was I thinking of all this? I have no idea.

No comments: