RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/29/2007

THE FUNERAL

The day was chosen from a novel; misty rain, chilling cold, gray and overcast. The standard day for a funeral. We met at the funeral home and then processed to the church.



The mood was still light. My mother was more giddy than sad in outward appearance. Before mass, my sister read a short eulogy that she had written. It was touching. The service was dignified and beautiful. It was a celebration of life. Not a tear was shed.



After mass, we followed the casket to the vestibule of the church as the final song was sung by the choir. We were gathered around the casket when the song ended and there was a moment of silence. The choir then broke out with "When Irish Eyes are Smiling". So much for the dry eyes. I couldn't contain myself for the first time this week. Many people were crying. It was truly touching and the one thing about the day I will never forget.

No comments: