RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

12/28/2007

THE VISITATION

Thursday we had the visitation for friends and family. It was an amazing crowd for someone my dad's age. You would think that most of his friends were dead and gone.

Relatives long forgotten were there. My dad's friends from his church, the men's club and the K of C were prominent. Many of my co-workers attended and my friends and neighbors.

Green tinted flowers graced his green casket in honor of his Irish heritage. My nephew, Michael, wore a green rosary around his own neck like the one my father had in his hands. Dad wore the necktie of the Ancient Order of Hibernians. A folded American flag was there in remembrance of his service during World War II. The emblem of the Knights of Columbus was emblazoned on the inner blanket of the casket cover. The last award he received from the knights was hanging around his neck. He wore glasses which he usually did not. He looked so much better than he did just a week ago.

The mood of the gathering was light. My mother was in her element and delighted in the attention she received. The K of C had a stirring ceremony toward the end of the evening and I was presented with my father's sword which he owned as a fourth degree knight.

All in all, the evening went as well as anyone could hope.

No comments: