RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

1/15/2008

DINNER

I've been very lucky. My wife of 41 years was always a willing cook. She didn't like it but she always did it. The evening meal was a ritual when we were raising our kids. We all ate together every night. I remember the evening meal as a fun time. Even when the kids became teenagers and the answer to "how was school, today?" was always "boring".


I always had a job which brought me home about 6 pm. When I walked in the door, supper was ready and it was time to eat. Our meals were based on the 1950's food triangle - meat, potatoes, vegetable, dessert. Every night.

We've been empty-nesters for about 10 years, now. My wife's diligence to cooking has been ebbing. We are using a different triangle now. Last Friday night, she served me a piece of bread with peanut butter and jelly on it. No! the bread wasn't toasted, either.



No comments: