RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

3/06/2008

MIKE SMITH

I noted that Mike Smith died last week. He was the lead singer of the Dave Clark Five. They were a rock group of the 1960's and the second of the so-called British Invasion behind The Beatles. They had a huge hit in 1964 called "Glad All Over" and placed 17 songs on the Billboard Top 40 list between 1964 and 1967.


I was never a star-struck person. I think celebrity autographs are stupid. I passed up a chance to see Bob Hope's show in Vietnam. I seldom even recognize a celebrity and I surely wouldn't go out of my way to see one.


Well, in the Spring of 1964, I was riding to school at UC with a guy named Tom Nuttle. We had graduated together from Purcell. He had this cool 1940's restored car and he would pick me up at my house on his way to school. The Dave Clark Five were making their first US tour at the time and stopping at Greater Cincinnati Airport around noon for a one-night show. Tom and I agreed that it would be a good place to be...lots of chicks.


What a bust. After our morning classes, we drove across the river to the airport and did see a bunch of chicks. All chicks...no guys. Young girls jumping up and down and crying. It was not a good scene for us. We didn't stay. It was a bad idea.


The Dave Clark Five is scheduled to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next week. Ten days too late for Mike Smith.

No comments: