RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

7/12/2008

LYSAGHT

My Irish family name has always been a tough one for most people to pronounce. It looks foreign to most Americans. From my father, I got the pronunciation as follows: LIE' sit. It was easy to explain to people...two small words that were familiar to most.

Well, the other day I was reading an article about the Irish writer Sidney Royse Lysaght. In the article, they indicate the the proper pronunciation is: LYE' suht. He was from County Cork and not County Claire as my family but that sounds right to me and looks closer to the spelling. I think I'll use that from now on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi your family name is not Irish it's French! It comes from Alsace Lorraine region on the French German border called Lys, this is also where the Fleur de Lys comes from. I know because my name is Lysaght (Lye suht is also the correct way the English say it but in French it is said Lisa)