RANDOM MUSINGS FROM THE TOP OF THE HILL

5/16/2010

MEMORIES

When my wife and I were dating back in the early 1960's, we often ended up in Eden Park near the overlook. My car had only AM radio at the time so I tuned in to the soft tones of WCKY to set the mood. It was the only channel you could rely on for uninterrupted instrumental music. Well, it seems to me that on almost every occasion we were there past midnight. The trouble with that was, at midnight, WCKY switched to the syndicated broadcast of Garner Ted Armstrong, the voice of the Worldwide Church of God. Garner Ted's father, Herbert W., was the founder of that church. Anyway, the mood music switched to fire and brimstone. I never switched the channel because I didn't want to lose the 'mood'. It never worked. Suzanne called him the preacher man. We both new that it was past midnight. That's when the cops would drive through. Garner Ted did his work. Its really hard to 'neck' when someone is preaching at you.
:o)

No comments: